Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Run/Walk

Today was my first attempt at a run walk program.

The Jog/Run-Walk Program

The Jog/Run-Walk program is a basic running program for people who are just starting out. By following this 10-week schedule from Runner's World, you will be at 30 minutes of continuous jogging/running in just over two months! For the running newcomer, I recommend starting with week 1; for those who have some running experience, I recommend starting with week 6.

Begin with a 5 minute walk to warm-up the body, then utilize the Run-Walk plan alternating running and walking according to the appropriate week's schedule for a total of 30 minutes of exercise. Remember to finish each workout with five minutes of walking at a slower pace to cool the body down.

WEEK
1: Two minutes running/four minutes walking
2: Three minutes running/three minutes walking
3: Four minutes running/two minutes walking
4: Five minutes running/three minutes walking
5: Seven minutes running/three minutes walking
6: Eight minutes running/two minutes walking
7: Nine minutes running/one minute walking
8: Thirteen minutes running/two minutes walking
9: Fourteen minutes running/one minute walking
10: Run the whole time - 30 minutes

Well, I jumped in kind of around week four.  I ran 4 minutes and walked 1.  Easy to keep track of on the Garmin watch this way.  I went 3.25 miles in an 8:42 pace overall.  Which did surprise me, considering I was walking and the walking time is averaged in that pace.  My knee is quite achy tonight, but not so bad that I can't stand it.  I didn't feel like I worked on form like the PT had asked of me, because I kept looking to see how much time I had before it was time to walk or run.  It does make the time fly by.  Next time, I'll try a little harder to work on form.  I guess this program doesn't really say how often you should attempt to run/walk.  I have cross training tomorrow, so maybe I'll give it a try again on Thursday.

Cross training is kicking my butt!!!!  Monday's workout was:

Box Jumps 30
Push Ups 5

Box Jumps 25
Push Ups 10

Box Jumps 20
Push Ups 15

Box Jumps 15
Push Ups 20

Box Jumps 10
Push Ups 25

Box Jumps 5
Push Ups 30

I can hardly lift my arms today.  The above list was only part of it, we also did some "skin the cat" which is done on rings hanging from the ceiling. Squats, Lunges, L-sits, and sit-ups throwing a medicine ball with a partner.  KILLER!!!!

I would be interested if anyone has comments/thoughts regarding the run/walk program.

1 comment:

Johann said...

I believe it is the best way to go about building up to longer distances. Keep it going and stick to the plan.