Today was a new all time low..... I have not run since last Thursday and my knee is still aching so bad. If I have not already posted about it, the Dr. says it is Chondromalacia.
Chondromalacia (pronounced KON-dro-mah-LAY-she-ah), also called chondromalacia patellae, refers to softening of the articular cartilage of the kneecap. This disorder occurs most often in young adults and can be caused by injury, overuse, misalignment of the patella, or muscle weakness. Instead of gliding smoothly across the lower end of the thigh bone, the kneecap rubs against it, thereby roughening the cartilage underneath the kneecap. The damage may range from a slightly abnormal surface of the cartilage to a surface that has been worn away to the bone.
I took about two months off from running, still had some discomfort but WOW, nothing like what I'm feeling now. I had this master plan of starting up my running program again.....
Monday - ran approx 3 miles & cross trained
Tuesday - ran 4.25 miles
Wednesday - cross trained
Thursday - 5 miles
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Still needed to rest
Sunday - More rest
Monday - Knee still aching....How long do I need to rest it?????
Tuesday - You got it....still resting.....
Today I was on the verge of tears just thinking about getting older, not running, possibly missing the Butte to Butte race on July 4th.
I did put on a knee brace tonight, one that you can pick up at a sporting goods store and it does help it feel a little less achy, I have tried running in it before and it doesn't seem to work very well.
So what do I do, take more time off or suck it up?
No comments:
Post a Comment